A sponsoring leader supports individuals and projects of their choice to gain visibility within the organisation.
They are not mentors. Sponsors are leaders with influence and/or authority want to advertise your potential. You may have a sponsor if they are “batting for you in meetings” and other generators of political & social capital.
They provide the authority and credibility necessary for others in the organisation to take notice of an individual or project.
Sponsors have a vested interest in your success once they mention you, as your reputation is now openly linked to theirs. They can be indirect and subtle or show clear and direct support. They may:
- Participate visibly in your work or projects
- Communicate their support to other leaders
- Build a coalition of sponsors
- Sylvia Ann Hewlett (2014). Executive Presence – The Missing Link Between Merit and Success. Retrieved from http://read.amazon.com
- Executive Sponsor’s Importance and Role – ProSci, https://www.prosci.com/resources/articles/importance-and-role-of-executive-sponsor (accessed 26-12-2019)